Sunday, April 29, 2012

Medifast, Day #1

Originally Published September 2, 2011

'Twas the Night Before Medifast
It was all quiet in the southside flat.  The laundry was carefully put away.  The dishes were done. The bag for school was packed.

And then - there was the ripping of packets, the measuring of water, the shaking of containers, the checking of labels, and...

I think I'm ready for tomorrow.  

Day #1, Here I Come!

Good Morning!
Oh my!  It's here.  My first day on Medifast.  My first day of powdered meals. 

It's here, alright!  And, guess what!  So is that time of month. 

Yes, seriously!  I can't make this stuff up.

Now, as I'll be popping the occasional pain reliever to ease that pain, I'm hoping the headaches that everyone talks about will leave me alone.  Here's to hoping!

As I was reading through tips for newbies, I saw the recommendation to set reminders on my phone calendar for meal times.  I did that on Tuesday.  Seriously, I scheduled my meals (starting today) on Tuesday.  Think I was anxious to get this started?

This morning my normal alarm went off to get my booty out of bed.  Then, after a few tasks, my breakfast alarm went off.  Ooh!!!  Time for my first Medifast meal.

It was eggs.  Yep.  I chose my first meal to be eggs.  It's breakfast, afterall.  Of course I'm starting with eggs!

Well, if you read my previous post, you know that I had the good sense to have prepped all of my foods with their water alotment before going to bed last night.

I made them on the stove top.  I scraped every little bit of powdered egg as though my life depended on it.  It all made it's way to my adorably polka-dotted pink plate.  And...

It wasn't bad.

In about twenty minutes my mid-morning alarm is going to go off.

What's next?

Oatmeal!

Oh, I've read about the wallpaper paste.  Yep.  I'm prepared.

I'm prepared to post about it - good, bad, indifferent, I'll report back.

Good morning, fellow MFers.  I'm now officially one of you!

Oatmeal #1
This just in...

I finished my first oatmeal. 

I survived to tell the tale.

The bowl is already washed up - I read the posts about NASTY bowls that sit all day.

I just about doubled the water, soaked it overnight, heated it up in 30 second increments, let it sit for a couple of minutes.

It was alright.

NOT 5-Alarm Chili
Day #1 Lunch is the chili. 

It soaked overnight, it got a hit of chili powder, some fresh peppers, and a hit of hot sauce. 

It's not what I'd normally make, but it's alright. 

I made it with additional water, so it's a little soupier than normal...just more to eat.

So far, so good.

Coming Soon...Mid-Afternoon will be a Fruit & Nut Crunch Bar - Dinner is a Lean & Green - 

Evening is a Dutch Chocolate 70 Shake

The Itsy-Bitsy Crunch Bar
Got cut up into about forty itsy bitsy pieces. 

Between every bit, I took a good, long sip of water.

It took my over 25 minutes to eat that itty-bitty bar.

And I can't imagine doing it without the 24+ ounces of water I downed it with.

FYI, it was a Fruit & Nut Crunch Bar and the water was icy cold and it was all good.

Next stop, Lean & Green!

And, Here Comes Hurdle #1
I type this as a woman who has just overcome her first hurdle in her MF journey.

So, I had this great first day of MF.  I woke up, made my MF scrambled eggs, had some oatmeal during my break at school, was chugging my water, had some chili at lunch, more water, the itsy bitsy crunch bar...and I was excited to come home and make my first Lean & Green meal of my journey. 

I even had a phone chat with my health coach when I got home from work.

Then...a knock at the door.  "Jennifer, Do you have power?"

Me...in my head...no power?  How can I make my Creamy Buffalo Chicken Bake with no power?  What am I going to do?

Well, indeed, the power was out...for an hour.  And in that time, I knew my scheduled dinner was coming."

Did I call and order take out?  Did I go to the drive through?  Did I say, "Screw this! It's Friday. It's Wisconsin. I'm going out for Fish Fry?" Nope! 

I switched up the order of my meals and threw in a snack.

I'll be having my chicken back over a pile of greens in a few hours.
I just finished my Dutch Chocolate shake and a few bites of celery with a 1/2 Tbsp. of peanut butter.

Take that, power failure!

I Like it Hot, Hot, HOT!!!
FINALLY!!!

I just finished savoring 3 cups of salad topped with a delightfully large looking serving of the Creamy Buffalo Chicken Bake and I am one happy camper!

Now, I may not have had it when I wanted (dinner) - but it was worth the wait.

Only problem is...I want it for every meal.  I want it everyday.  And, I have a Taco Salad planned for tomorrow because the rest of the family will be having taco ring.  

I think this is a good problem.

Well, kids...Happy Friday Night!



No comments:

Post a Comment