Sunday, April 29, 2012

Let the Games Begin!

Originally Published April 24, 2012



We knew it was coming and yesterday it arrived.  The start of the annual staff Biggest Loser competition. 

The game is on!

Yesterday, one-by-one, we each visited the nurse's office to bare our deepest, darkest secret to the school nurse.  Well, their deepest darkest secrets, as my weight is public information for anyone who can find me on this site!

So, today we have only the juniors in school for the statewide ACT testing.  After testing, the students were provided a "lunch" of nachos (tortilla chips, seasoned ground beef, cheese sauce and the obligatory jalapenos), Capri Sun and a selection of other treats.  The students were happily recovering from their ACT-induced comas while socializing with the friends.  And the teachers...they were all in the hallway, in the nachos line, piling their chips with yumminess.  Every single one of them.  Except me. 

While my friends were talking up their intentions of winning The Biggest Loser, I sat with my little bowl of Medifast Homestyle Chili and refilled my Camelbak bottle for the third time today.  I didn't say a word.  I just looked around, took it all in, and happily nibbled on the chili - which was a real treat because I almost always have shakes for meals, but had this in the fridge in my classroom in case of an emergency.  And, this was an emergency.  Everyone around me was eating what probably amounts to more than 2 days worth of calories and who knows how many days of carbs in my world!  A chai latte was not going to cut it.  I'm sorry.  That's the trutch - as much as I've grown to love the stuff. 

So, I had chili for lunch and they had nachos.  My afternoon snack was a hot cocoa mix, mixed with diet root beer (oh my...you MUST try that).  My dinner is going to be a fabulous Chipotle salad - which I will be enjoying at the Brewers' game tonight.  And I'm going to have some peanut butter soft serve to end my night.  All this, along with a few more Camelbak's worth of water.  Ah...

Oh, and while they sat around talking after they were done devouring their nachos, I did five trips up and down the stairs or our three floor building.  I topped that off with a four laps of the third floor.

The cost: $10.  The prize: $10 x the number of people who chose to take on the challenge.  Winning because you lost the highest percentage of weight between now and the end of the school year: PRICELESS!

Who's your money on?

No comments:

Post a Comment