Sunday, April 29, 2012

Another Year Wiser

Originally Published October 30, 2011


On Friday I celebrated my 37th birthday.  It was a beautiful day that started and ended with positive thoughts, being surrounded by people that love me, and was full of reminders of how lucky I am.

I think there may have been a few people in my circle that thought it would be a difficult week for me.  Wednesday was the anniversary of my engagement and last year my then-fiance threw a surprise birthday party for me.  Well, this year I'm in a new place - mentally, physically, and spiritually. 

On Thursday afternoon, I sold my engagement ring.  It was time to let go of the one item in my house that represented my marriage and my husband.  It is now gone and I am happy to not have that ghost lurking in the back of my closet.  My fresh start is now complete!

I spent the days before and after my birthday also surrounded by friends and family.  It's been a great weekend!

On Friday night, after dinner with friends and my best friend's home with her family, a bowl of beautiful fruit salad was brought out, with a candle sticking up out of a banana slice.  It was beautiful.  They weren't sure what to do, thought I wasn't eating fruit, but figured it was that or a bell pepper.  Sure, I'd have eaten the bell pepper - but they enjoyed the fruit salad while I sipped on a MF Chocolate Pudding shake.  It was perfect!

As I look back on my birthday celebrations, I am happy to know that I am surrounded by people that I trust, that have my best interests at heart and that are able to celebrate that I have moved into a new chapter of my life - leaving behind an unhealthy marriage, an unhealthy lifestyle and moving towards the life I want to live.  The people around me see the changes happening - in me and in the choices I make - and they are celebrating every victory with me.  

Since starting this program, I have lost 49.4 pounds.  I have gone down almost three full sizes.  I have gained a level of self confidence that I haven't had for quite some time.  I have started running again.  I have the energy to do all of the things I want to do with my friends and family.  And, I have put myself first - where I always should have been.

It is such a blessing to have been able to look towards this new year knowing that I have taken control of my life and my health - and to know that before my next birthday, I will be healthier than I can ever remember being.  

Here's to a healthier year for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment