Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Today's Sneak Peak Into the Habits of Health

I have mentioned a few times that I am involved in a few facebook groups for support with my weight loss journey.  My health coach with Take Shape for Life has a great group that is quickly growing to include other coaches and their clients.  Everyone is at a different point in their journey and has different goals, yet everyone is open, honest and supportive of the others in the group.  It's a safe place to ask questions and share successes.

Yesterday began the May challenge in the group.  Each day has a theme.  Monday's roll call included a check-in on how you're doing, a weigh-in, and posting a picture of your feet on the scale.  Oh yes...we posted pictures of our weight on facebook.  You bet!  It is a closed, super-secret group and a safe place - but it still takes a deep breath and a prayer to post that sort of thing on facebook.

Today is Habits of Health discussion day.  Each Tuesday my coach will be posting information on the Habits of Health: The Path to Permanent Weight Control and Optimal Health from Dr. Wayne Andersen's book/website for us to discuss and use as a launch pad for our own reflection, goal-setting and focus on our program.

I will admit that I have had Dr. A.'s book since September and have spent a little bit of time with it.  However, I quickly dropped the ball.  I've been meaning to get back to it - and Habits of Health Tuesday's are just what I need to get back to the book.  I will be pulling it out when I get home from school this afternoon and I will work my way through the book and the accompanying workbook Living a Longer, Healthier Life.  I said it here.  I must do it now.

Today's discussion topic from Habits of Health focuses on four things.  1. Identifying the choices that support optimal health and implementing a plan to incorporate them into daily choices, also listing 10 choices that support your health right now 2. Becoming aware of daily choices that do not support health 3. Thinking long term and not instant gratification 4. Creating a microenvironment of health.

Choices that support my health:
  • drinking at least 1/2 may weight in pure water each day
  • eliminating/minimizing consumption of caffeine
  • eating at regular intervals
  • walking daily
  • running or cycling 4-6 times a week - Yes! Me and the bike have reunited, at last!
  • choosing non-processed foods over packaged foods with additives
  • adding strength training to my days 3-4 times a week
  • asking for support of the people around me
  • choosing to eat at home instead of putting myself into situations where I feel I'd make decisions that are not in my best interest
  • actively participating in groups that support my journey and encourage me to meet my goals
  • logging my daily activity, food choices and water consumption in my journal and online
  • using my fitbit to evaluate my progress and set goals for more activity
These things are just a glimpse into what I'm doing each day to improve my health.  I'm sure if I were to revisit this list in a month or two, I would have more to add.

One of the things that helps me most is having an environment that supports my health.  Living alone, it is easy to keep only the foods I should have in the house.  From Medifast packets to plenty of fresh vegetables and lean meats/meat alternatives to water bottles and a variety of green teas, my kitchen is stocked and prepared to support me on this journey towards improved health.  Of course, I am accountable to maintain this environment and not let momentary struggles and/or lapses in judgement allow me to bring home a pint of frozen custard or a dozen donuts.  But then, I would still have to answer to myself for these choices.

Now I really am looking forward to spending some quality time with Dr. A.'s book and thinking more about my journey and what lies ahead.

1 comment:

  1. Now that is one great list! I also love how one need not focus on eliminating habits of disease so much because they are cancelled out by habits of health. Ergo, the more healthy habits, the less space for things that undermine our goals. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete