Saturday, May 12, 2012

A Booster Shot

When I was little, I was NOT a fan of getting shots.  Sure, there was a cute, cartoon Band-Aid at the end and a lollipop, but those needles were long and it just plain hurt.


These days, I'm not afraid, I'm fascinated.  You want to stick a needle in my arm?  Go for it!  You want to stick a needle in my arm and take my blood?  Heck yeah!  I'm there!  And, please don't cover the entry site with gauze, I want to see what's going on!


It's been a while since I've had a shot, but last night I had another kind of shot.  That kind that gives you the psychological boost right where you need it.


My mom's best friend came up to me and said, "When I saw you from behind, I almost didn't know it was you - you're getting so skinny!"


Ha!  Thank you!  I took that compliment and stuck it in my pocket to absorb later.


Now, skinny has not been a word anyone would use to describe me - not since somewhere around age 11 or 12.  But, I knew what she was getting at.  I was wearing my version of skinny jeans - a pair of pants I bought seven years ago and have worn exactly three times.  They didn't fit - not by a long shot - when I bought them.  But they were only $10 and they were NICE pants.  I wasn't returning them.  Like any woman, I would hold on to them and "someday" I would be able to wear them.


That ever-illusive someday has happened three times.  Once in October of 2006.  Oh, I remember it well.  Then, in January of this year I pulled them out because they were the perfect pants for the awesome Calvin Klein top I got at the outlet.  And, yesterday when I needed a put-together outfit that didn't yell funeral or fun - but was just the right outfit, I pulled out the perfect navy pants and the beautiful Calvin Klein top.  I knew the top would be okay.  It's one of those that will fit at a variety of sizes - but it looks GREAT now.  The pants...I was worried.  I had a back-up pair in mind.  I didn't even pull out the back-up pair, though.  I pulled out the navy wonder pants.  I looked at them.  I held them up against me.  And then...I tried them on.  Miracle or miracles, they fit perfectly.


So, when in the middle of a funeral I received the booster shot of all booster shots, I floated out of myself, and looked down - at my rear view of course - and said, "Yes! I am looking good!"


Sure I have a long way to go until I'm at my goal, but every day I am getting closer.  Every day I am making choices that will help me get there a little sooner. 


Thank you, Mrs. C. for the booster!!!

1 comment:

  1. ^_^ Yay for skinny jeans!! I bet you looked incredible.

    ReplyDelete