Thursday, May 10, 2012

Eating With Friends

I frequently have the opportunity to spend my lunch hour and the occasional social outing with colleagues.  And, of course there are times when I do the same with friends and family.  With the loose summer schedule just around the corner, these opportunities are going to quickly pile up.


These days, I am either enjoying one of my five-a-day Medifast meals, my Lean & Green meal for the day, or sipping on water.  


There were times when it felt weird to be doing something "different" than the rest of the crowd, but I feel differently about that now.  I am making the choice to do what is best for me.  I am good with that and go into these situations not even thinking much about it.   


Somewhere along the line, I got to thinking, "What are they thinking?"  Do the people around me think I'm just the crazy woman eating food that mostly comes in space packets?  Are they thinking that I'm judging them?  If I'm only sipping water, do they think I'm starving myself?  


It can be a strange thing being the kid who's doing her own thing.  Go ahead, sing the "Sesame Street" song in your head - I am!


Yep, I am often eating food that comes in space packets - though by the time they see me with it, it's either mixed up in my little Medifast/Take Shape for Life cup or in an insulated cup.  No, I am not starving myself.  As a matter of fact, I'm not even hungry unless I push the limits with when I need to eat.  And, I am not judging anyone.  If you know me, you know that I LOVE FOOD.  All food.  Ice cream, donuts, cake, frozen custard, butter burgers, fried cheese curds, lasagna, garlic bread, chocolate, pancakes, muffins, cookies, ham, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, sweet potatoes...you get the picture.  And, those things will someday make an appearance passing my lips - on rare occasions.  But, that day is not today.  It is not tomorrow.  It was not yesterday.  


These are my choices regarding food and taking care of me.  I love the people around me and want to spend time socializing and catching up with them.  If it's time for me to eat, I'm going to eat.  If it's time for them to eat, I want them to eat.  And to eat what they want. And if you have something that I can be okay choosing to eat, you can bet I'm going to want some, ask for some, and go ahead and have some.  


Yep, I had a pickle today.  I skipped the brownies.  That's my choice.  And, it's now almost three hours later and I am not regretting that choice.


Eat on, friends.  I'll be at the table with you!  And, if you're coming here, I'll even cook for you!

1 comment:

  1. I'm hoping a plane! I want dinner ;)

    Seriously though, I love this blog. I have this experience sometimes at work. They look at me like I'm kinda nuts, and sometimes one girl makes gagging noises at my food. I ignore - because I know I'm doing what's good for me. But I'm sure people think I'm starving or something.

    Anyway, great job on the blog. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete