Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Changing Up My Maniacal Cycling Habit

This is a hard one for me.  I have been mulling over how I'm going to approach cycling this summer - now that I have my health back, the bike is ready and I am ready...

I've already started riding and am going out about 3 times a week for the past 2 weeks.  It would be very easy for me to just keep up with the training calendar that I've ALWAYS used to train for the bike tour (it's a training schedule to prepare for a century - 100+ mile - ride). 

However, I REALLY want to stick with 5&1 (not even 4&2) until I get to goal.  And, if that's the plan - the most I can ride is 45 minutes.  This is a MAJOR change in how I do things.  It will also mean that I will not be riding the miles I usually do for the bike tour...100+ one day and 75 or 100+ the second day.  There's just no way I can accomplish that with this caloric intake. 

It would also mean an adjustment in some of my other summer activities - cycling-wise.  I ride at least twice a week with my two best friends - once for a weekly women's ride on Tuesdays - about 90 minutes-2 hours and then our long rides on Saturdays/Sundays (one day/week).  They know I'm back on the program, but probably not what it means in terms of changing up my training. 

This is a major reigning in of my maniac running/cycling natural tendencies...but I really need to stick with this plan.

If I stick with 5&1 and limit my activity to the guidelines, I will be able to do so much more by the end of the year - I need to keep my eyes on the prize...not the mileage!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment