Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tuesday's Habits of Health Discussion

Habits of Health Discussion Day
Really give this some thought, don't just give answers. 

We all had unhealthy habits prior to our lifestyle change and while you are going through this journey now is a great time to reflect on those old habits. There are habits that are triggers.  There are instances like holidays that are triggers. When you find yourself in a situation that you know is a trigger for you- how will you handle it? What will your action be?


Triggers for me include my parents’ house.  Oh, there is usually an awful lot of good stuff hanging out there just waiting to be devoured.  Sometimes it’s fresh bakery on the counter.  Other days, it’s mom’s brownies.  Sometimes, it’s hiding in the refrigerator.  There is always SOMETHING there that is not on my plan and calls my name as soon as I turn the corner.

Since I am at their house at least once a week, I needed a battle plan.  First, I’ve communicated that this is a problem area for me.  Also, I come prepared.  I bring my water bottle, whatever food I’ll need for my time there and reinforcements – just in case I’m there longer or am ready to cave.  These two actions have made a world of difference in my ability to survive time at mom & dad’s while maintaining positive choices.

I admit, there are times I make a choice that isn’t in keeping 100% on plan.   When this happens, I grab the water bottle, log the decision and keep on moving forward.

This can happen when I am at a friend’s or even at work.  Temptations are all around.  I always have a few meals on hand and my water bottle – it’s my equivalent of the baby’s blanket.  It gets me through.

I’ve come a long way in avoiding temptations in the past nine months.  I can go past the neighborhood custard stand without needing to stop for a sundae.  I can go out to dinner and not have an appetizer, dinner, bread and a dessert.  I can go out with friends and skip the glass of wine or bloody mary at brunch.  These are all victories in my journey to a healthier me – and each one results in a happier me.

Go get ‘em, tigers!

No comments:

Post a Comment