Wednesday, May 16, 2012

WHY Lose the Weight?

I just got home from a long day at school - our last Parent/Teacher Conference night of the school year.  I planned on vegging out to a dvd for a bit before getting things ready for tomorrow and crashing in bed with my nook.  But the voice in my head sent me to the blogs on mymedifast, instead.


And I am so glad!!!


I just read a blog post by a seasoned Medifaster.  One who has been there, done that, lost the weight, gained it back, lost it again and is maintaining her healthy weight, healthy lifestyle and has taken on the role of a health coach.  I read her blog daily and often find kernels of wisdom that I have packed into my toolkit of advice to carry with me on this journey.


Today's blog was about defining what you want and setting an attainable timeline for reaching said goals.  


I know that I cannot predict which day I will reach my goal weight any more than I can predict the winning lottery numbers.  However, I can set attainable goals that my choices can help move me towards and this will allow me the opportunity to have better control over how I get to my goals.  I have a time frame that I plan on arrive at my goal.  However, first I need to clarify WHY I have a goal in the first place.  Yes, there is a number that I plan for my scale to arrive at and I plan for that to happen anywhere between my 38th birthday - which is October 28th of this year - and Christmas.  


My ultimate goal is to be healthy.  To look healthy.  To feel healthy and live an active life.  I want to be able to jump on my bike and KNOW I can do what I set out to do - not be surprised by my accomplishments or have others be surprised because I don't look like someone who can bike 200+ miles in 2 days.  It's already very much a part of who I am.  Now, I'm just working on making all of the pieces of me fit the puzzle that is Jenny.


Yep! That's TWO Century Loop Stickers!
Double Century
2008 Wisconsin Bike MS
Best Dam Bike Tour


There.  Now you know.  It's out there in the wide, wide, open.  


Between now and then, there will be many milestones to celebrate and events to commemorate where I am on the journey - and plenty of photo ops!  My school's last prom, graduation, the MS Bike Tour, my 20 year high school reunion, The Dirty Girl Run with a group of friends & former colleagues, time with family and friends, and those great spontaneous moments in life that just need to be photographed.  Every day is a celebration.  A celebration of moving further from where I was and closer to where I'm going.


As I commented on the wise Medifaster's blog just a few minutes ago, "The things we pick up along the way - the things we never thought about - need to be celebrated, also. Standing taller because you feel better about yourself - taking chances you never would have before - receiving a compliment graciously - being assertive about the choices you make to improve your health, life & attitude - each size smaller - being able to walk, bike, run, move more than you could before... Each of these successes is a part of our journey and needs to be acknowledged and celebrated as a stepping stone to our goal of a healthy life."


Go get 'em, Tigers!!!

3 comments:

  1. THIS IS AWESOME!!!
    I love ya Jenny Jean....
    -jeffrey...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 this and I admire you so much for putting it out there. I think your courage and honesty is contagious, too ;).

    ReplyDelete