Sunday, August 19, 2012

No More Stay-Puff Marshmallow Girl

Just under a year ago I began a journey.  I was freshly separated and on a path to take back my life and my body.

Some time in October, I got my running groove back.  I ran a series of five 5k races over the cold, snowy winter months us Wisconsinites love so dearly.  I jumped into Lake Michigan on New Year's Day with all of the other Polar Bear Plungers.  I took a "Freedom Trip" to Austin, TX and ran and biked to my heart's content the week after my divorce was final.  I've returned to road biking recently.  I'm off to another change with a new teaching assignment this fall.  I returned to grad school and will be finishing my masters degree in May.  I have made countless friends through this program - friends that have supported me through my personal evolution and continue to cheer me on, while I do the same.  This past weekend, I had the opportunity to meet three of them live and in the flesh - what a great Friday and Saturday we had.  I am in a relationship where I feel valued, appreciated, treasured, and respected.

Life is good.

This morning, I ran the Dirty Girl Mud Run with a team of my former colleagues and other friends.  Many of these ladies I haven't seen in at least a year.  They have seen pictures and posts on facebook, but no face-to-face contact.  It was an amazing experience on so many levels.  Just awesome!

T
he before picture is from my cousin's wedding last May.  I thought I looked fabulous.  My mom received this picture from my cousin's wife a few months ago.  My mom pulled me aside, with tears in her eyes, to show it to me...to "show me how far I've come."  Of course, my mom is a mom and tells everyone she can how amazing I am and how great I have done over the past year.  Moms...they're the best!

The after picture is from before this morning's Dirty Girl Mud Run.  We were Team Tutu Dirty.  The Tutu is in a trash dumpster somewhere, the shoes were donated to a worthy cause, but the feeling in my heart - and the pain in my body from climbing, crawling, jumping, running, slithering - is with me.  The pain will go away in a day or two.  The feeling of accomplishment - that's one of those things that sticks with you for a good long while.

I have a bit to go before I reach my weight goal.  However, the goal I told my health coach when I started was to be able to run and bike and take part in the events that I love to participate in.  Friends, I'm there!

To all of you just starting out - you CAN do this!

To my friends that I have gathered into my arms along the way - I LOVE each and every one of you.  Thank you for your unconditional love and support.

Go get 'em, tigers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment