Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Gratitude, Day 3

Last night I had one of those moments where I felt I needed to add hours to my day.  I had just looked up the reading assignment that needs to be done before my class meets next Monday.  Then I pulled out the books, opened them up, and got a good look at exactly what I was facing. 

Here I’d been, thinking that I can slowly meander my way through these readings sometime this week.  Ha!  Was I wrong!  One of the two is actually to read an entire book.  The other, is about 50-something pages.  But a book!  Sure, I read a book a day sometimes, but that’s fluffy fiction stuff that I select.  Not a book on the intricacies of primary reading instruction and assessment.  Oh my!

So, I’ve spent part of my morning reading and highlighting.  I’ve treated myself to some iced coffee and donuts.  It’s not going so bad.

Oh…it’s decaf coffee and donuts made out of my Medifast food, NOT Dunkin Donuts.  Wanted to make that clear.

As I stressed about this last night, I realized how lucky I am.  I’m stressing about a grad school reading assignment.  Really, this is small potatoes.  I’ve got a job that I love.  My family and friends are amazing people.  My home is a place I enjoy being and feel safe in.  My neighborhood is bike, walk, and run friendly.  I can afford to go to grad school.  Seriously, having to read a book – not a problem.

Now, what may be a problem…my newly discovered donut addiction.  This is serious business, kids.  I had four meals of donuts yesterday and two already today.  I woke up this morning feeling like I’d eaten some forbidden foods yesterday.  Today, when I ate my second meal of Chocolate Brownie mini donuts, I was channeling some sugar-glazed demons from that dreaded DD place.  Oh my, what’s a girl to do except…make more donuts!!!

Yes, it’s time for lunch and to get back to the reading and highlighting portion of my afternoon.  I’m going to reward myself with a ride to the lake later.  Yes, that’s a great plan if I do say so myself.

30 Days of Gratitude, Day #3
  1.         A job I love 
  2.         A most fantastic and inspiring grad school experience…ALVERNO, people!
  3.         Being back on my road bike, Blaze.  It’s been a mighty fine reunion.


Go get ‘em, tigers!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your gratitude! You've inspired me to do the same, although mine are seemingly super selfish so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, safe to say it will *always* be time to make the doughnuts! Maybe you should rename them DO-nuts, since there's no dough and they're OP :) Yes, much to be grateful for and all well-deserved because it is clear to me you are a dedicated daughter, friend and educator. I'm grateful you're MY friend now - is that selfish? ;) <3

    ReplyDelete