Monday, August 13, 2012

Me, 20 Years Later


I survived the reunion weekend, had a fabulous time with old classmates, rocked the dance floor for a little longer than my hair could handle and am looking forward to staying in touch with many of these friends.

Saturday morning the challenge was thrown out to change our facebook profile pictures to a picture from high school.  We ended up using our senior pictures.  This was a lot of fun – scrolling through the fb feed and seeing everyone as they were twenty years ago.

Before heading out on Saturday night, I snapped a picture of myself.  It wasn’t until this morning that I looked at the picture.  It is far too similar to my senior picture.  My hair even looks the same!  Incredible!

Having spent a few minutes playing with the pictures to create a side-by-side comparison shot, I had some time to reflect on the me of 1992 and the me of today.


In 1992, I didn’t know where I was going or who I was.  I was 17.  I knew where I was going to college and what I would major in – but that was just about it.  I was passionate about a lot of things, but was just learning how to express that and take a stand.

Today, I know who I am.  I know what I value.  I know where I am going – or at least have a plan…I’m always open to new options.  I am confident in who I am, what I believe, what I do.  I can express myself clearly and am not afraid to stand up for myself.  I go after what I want.  I take care of the people I love and stand up for them.  I try to make each day better than the one before – and to make myself better than I was the day before.  I focus on gratitude and being positive and don’t let other people’s choices pull me off track.  I work hard to be great at what I do and help others do the same.  I am evolving and am enjoying the journey.

The journey is an amazing thing.

Go get ‘em, tigers!

No comments:

Post a Comment