Tuesday, April 16, 2013

What's This About Smoothies?


Oh, green smoothie happiness…

How did I land here in green smoothie land?

Netflix.  I firmly and completely point my finger to the dvd spouting & streaming mavens at Netflix

A few weeks ago, “Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead” was recommended so I added it to my queue and moved it to #1.  It arrived.  I watched.  I was fascinated.
So, I thought I’d be jumping on the juicing bandwagon.  I read up on it, wish listed a few titles on Amazon.com, sought juicer recommendations.

Then a friend recommended I read Green for Life by Victoria Boutenko.  Well, there went juicing and I was onto smoothies.  Truly, this made sense immediately.  I wouldn’t need to buy a new appliance (boo!), it fits my food sensibilities, and is something I could start immediately with what is in my refrigerator and fruit and veggie basket.  Good idea!  I spent quite a bit of time reading through Boutenko’s Raw Family site and that led me to Simple Green Smoothies.

Enter the 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge.  I started on Tuesday, April  9th.  Today is Day #8.

Last Friday while getting ready to head out for date night dinner and concert with Dave, he asked what the delicious concoction in the cup in the fridge.  Oh my…could he possibly have been talking about the leftover smoothie?  YES!  He was.  He declared, “I can do this!”

If he can do this, I can happily blend away and prepare FOUR QUARTS of happy green smoothie each day.  So, Sunday was the big shopping trip for a week’s – okay, maybe 4-5 days – worth of green smoothie makings.  Oh, that cart was overflowing with greens and fruits and herbs and healthy happiness.  And, after just two days of eating…blending…through all of that, I’m seeing that I will need to head to the store again a little sooner than I had planned. 

This morning’s smoothie was the Berry Protein Blast.  Oh, was that good!  This afternoon we enjoyed the Fat Burning Green Smoothie.  Both were great.  The ginger kick of the Fat Burning Green Smoothie is still with me and I’m looking forward to other smoothies with ginger – one of my favorite produce department secrets.

While the 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge is to have one green smoothie a day, I’m having two quarts of green smoothie each day – breakfast and lunch – and a nice healthy dinner.  Depending on how I feel, I may add in a light snack during the day.  Today, I enjoyed flax crackers with a homemade spread of ricotta, tomatoes, basil and black pepper.  That was a treat.  And on top of all of this, I’m continuing to enjoy lots and lots of water.  LOTS of water. 

After just eight days, I feel great – clear-minded, light, energized.  I don’t crave junk food.  I crave healthy, clean food.  Right now, I’m daydreaming of an avocado.

On another happy and healthy note, it’s been TWENTY MONTHS since I last consumed fast food.  WOW!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment