Sunday, September 11, 2011

Putting It All On the Table

I've shared with a few friends and family that I am doing Medifast.  So, socially, it's been easy (so far) to control my food in social situations.  

Of course, everyone has lots of questions...what can you eat? what do you eat? when do you eat? you drink how much water a day?  I answer everything and know that by putting it all out there, that I'm setting up for a successful weight loss journey.  The people around me will understand my choices and my needs, and being out and about will continue getting easier as I move through this plan.

Last night, two of my best friends were over for dinner and hours of conversation.  We talked about back-to-school issues, family things, personal things, EVERYTHING.  It was one of the best nights I've had in a while.

Over the course of the past week, having all of this time that I'm not cooking, and all this time alone in my house, I've come to the point where I can share my thoughts and feelings about my divorce (in process).  

I spent the first month of this change in my life focusing on getting logistical matters taken care of - closing the mutual bank account, taking his name off of in-case-of-emergency paperwork, changing who has access to my medical information, finding a new place to live, moving, settling in, and starting to focus on me - again.  

Those first weeks flew by and everyone kept commenting on how strong and amazing I was with how I had been handling the loss of my marriage.

Well, the tide changed somewhere in the past ten days.  The anger that had been occasionally rearing its ugly head for brief appearance had dropped its bags in my house and was staying until I did something about it.

I've had a few opportunities in the past week to spend time with friends and family, and share a little bit - or a lot - of what's going through my head, what the past few months were like, and putting all of my feelings, fears and beliefs on the table.

It was scary to start these conversations, but it's easier moving forward having shared what I'm dealing with and what challenges may be ahead of me.

It doesn't matter whether it's a struggle with a relationship or food, having it all out on the table with the people around you makes the detour to your path much smoother.

No comments:

Post a Comment